Haven't we all asked "why would God allow this?" I know, especially in my times of weakness and vulnerability, that I've openly thought it. There are many different answers that fit this question, but Hosea 7 gives one such answer: "They do not consider in their hearts that I remember all their wickedness; Now their own deeds have surrounded them." God is stating his case here against Israel and his judgment is to follow. How can we, as followers of Jesus, be surprised when we haven't been acting the way our Lord would want us to act on His behalf and judgment follows? Mind you, in God's currency there is no such thing as 'big' and 'little' deeds, just righteousness and sin. As an example- simply doing our jobs each and everyday. God asks us to work 'to the glory of the Lord'- I know that I don't embody that all of the time. Can I expect him to bless me when I'm not following after His heart the way that I'm supposed to? If I'm not fulfilling the Lord's desire in my work, should I be surprised if I'm not blessed (or even punished) for not being the dilligent worker the Lord expects me to be?
I'm certainly not saying that we don't suffer from attacks that aren't from the Lord (because spiritual warfare is real), but I do think that each of us can examine our own lives when trials arrive so that we may test ourselves under the Lord's vision, to make sure we are firmly placed where he intends us to be in all aspects of our life. Our faith doesn't need to be blind- we can ask the Lord what we need to do so that He can refine us in His fire.
Saturday, July 12, 2008
Hosea 7
Posted by Jason at 6:47 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
After experiencing what I've experienced the last several years, I can see that God has enabled my situation to teach me some things. I've integrated what I've learned into some of my thinking and, as a result, I am more able today to ask, "Lord, what do you want me to learn through this?"
I fully understand the "Why?" question. But, doesn't that question spring from an attitude that my interests are the center of my attention? Put another way, doesn't that question spring from an attitude that is ignorant of the fact that God may be doing, among other things, something FOR me?
The self attempts to keep score and tracks all the good the self does (and, all the good intents). When the self is 'self-satisfied', that self has met the self's estimation of God's threshold of acceptance, and self expects God to be grateful... and to show it! When the expectation goes unmet (e.g., didn't get that promotion) or when, worse yet, the unexpected occurs (e.g., got laid off), self gets pretty upset with God. C'mon God... what's going on?
Now THAT's a good question to ask, come to think of it. Do we ever ask God, "God, what's going on?" Do we ever stop to think that he is implementing His plan no matter the circumstance?
We ARE weak, each one of us. Even when we are strong, we are so weak. Let's not deceive ourselves. Most of us most of the time are but one event from being pitiful balls of flesh. Don't think so? Think of the worst thing that could happen to you, and then imagine it happening. What do you think your reaction is going to be?
I think the best thing we can do to help solve this problem we have (we, as sinful men), is to determine ahead of time how we will choose to think and act. We can do this. We have an ideal us that we think about. We hope to become the ideal us at some point in our walk. Whatever that ideal is, determine now to think and act that way. Practice it on the little annoyances, during arguments with our wives, while at work when we get the tasking we didn't want, when the car breaks down, when... get the picture?
Addressing what you wrote, Jason, I've witheld things from Doug because of things he has and hasn't done. We, as parents, act a little like God there, don't you think? It is easy to understand. ("You don't support my goals and desires for you, and you want me to do what?")
To answer your question, Jason, I think you can expect Him to bless you, when you're 'not following after His heart the way you're supposed to'. Do you continue to bless Keilah after she has disobeyed? Yes, of course, because you love her. Isn't it the same way with God? In the earlier chapter of Hosea, we learned that the Lord was going to allure (draw) Gomer to himself. He was going to bless her immensely, and in so doing, she was no longer view his as her master, but as her husband and call him Lord.
If one knows that they've been disobedient to the Lord, has departed from him, or sinned (all the same, isn't it?), one should not be surprised that the Lord may discipline him. The Lord chastises those whom he loves. You correct Keilah when she does wrong, because you love her.
What the Lord can teach us is the difference between being chastised by him and attacked by the enemy. We need to remain in His word, walk in His Spirit... so that we may be in Him and He in us.
The two great commandments (#1 and #2) - if we can just obey those, life works out.
You're right Doug- oftentimes when we're going through something it is because God has something on the other end for us. I also feel, as humans, that we don't like to take an accountable look at ourselves when trials arise. It seems we tend to first think 'Oh, Satan is attacking me right now', when really we might need to do a diagnostic check of our own lives. God wants us to be accountable for all of our actions- as he held Israel accountable.
The parental analogy that you give is a good one...I believe that God's gift to parents is a greater understanding of His love for His children. I also believe that He blesses all of His children, regardless of their salvation status on earth. I do find, though, that when Keilah needs to be put in time-out for some infraction, she is being withheld blessings, right? I don't feed her while she's in time-out, nor do I speak with her, interact with her, etc. That alone is hard for me, as a parent, to do. At the conclusion of the time-out, I tell her why she was being punished and give her a kiss. God totally does this to us- He'll put us in time-out, pull us out and tell us to get back in the game. If we don't acknowledge the behavior that brought us punishment, won't it lead to more punishment?
This all directly translates to us needing constant forgiveness and mercy. It's just one of the undertones to Hosea (and the entire Word)- ask the Lord for forgiveness for the things that we know we fall short on and He's faithful to forgive, set us back on the path, and help us to and through our next obstacle.
Post a Comment