Rick Warren, the famed author/pastor (and I put them in that order on purpose) of A Purpose Driven Life, is having Barack Obama and John McCain come to his church to speak. The article is careful not to call it a debate, as each candidate will have an hour to speak with Warren, who will be asking the questions.
OK- here is my problem with this. My interpretation of the Bible is that the pulpit is to teach God's Word. We know where these candidates stand on the moral issues that God has called His children to stand for. Obama is the author of an Illinois late-term abortion law. McCain is supposedly pro-life, even if that seems shaky to me because he isn't an ardent supporter the way God calls us to be (protectors of those who cannot speak for themselves). Obama is pro-gay marriage. McCain is anti-gay marriage. The Bible is obviously clear what it teaches about homosexuality. Why is a man of God offering his pulpit to anyone who doesn't support the principles of the Bible? I can't stand that he'd let his flock of 22,000 be subjected to such blatant blasphemy of God and His unbending principles. Am I wrong to feel this way? I think this is a 'visibility' ploy for Saddleback Church and Rick Warren- this heightens their profile because this will be the first time both candidates will share a stage. It saddens me that Warren would lead so many astray. Teach the Bible!
Another thing that bothers me- the article states that the candidates will be discussing AIDS, human rights, leadership style, etc. How much you wanna bet that abortion and gay marriage never get mentioned? What does it matter what the 'leadership style' of the President is if he makes decisions that are in opposition to God?
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=70182
Monday, July 21, 2008
Rick Warren to host Obama & McCain
Posted by Jason at 8:36 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I'm going to give an opposing view to your post, not so much for the sake of argument, but to just offer the possibility that there might be sound biblical basis for Rick Warren's actions.
You state your problem as being your interpretation of the bible "...is that the pulpit is to teach God's Word". Is there such a verse that implies that? My interpretation of the bible is that God's Word 1) be understood by each individual, and 2) spread to others (be taught). I don't think God intended the pulpit to spread His Word; he intended each of us to do that.
I remember when June homeschooled the girls, one of the books was called "Caughtya" (as in 'caught you'). It was a book in English grammar, I think. The notion of the book was that some kids aren't able to just sit, listen, and learn. For some kids, lessons have to be caught; not taught. I believe the book encouraged students and homeschooling moms to try to catch each other in poor grammar usage.
I bring this up, because I think that people, too often, are content to accept intellectually the notion of caring for others; that that is what we should do. By sponsoring an AIDS awareness event, Rick Warren actually puts his Christian faith in action and thereby teaches by example that we need to walk the walk, not just simply talk the walk. People catch the lesson by witnessing a practical application of the Word. i.e., People, given an example to follow, learn how (are encouraged) to give evidence of their faith by the doing of good works.
As far as Obama being invited to the church to be interviewed by Rick Warren, I would not say that Obama is given free reign of any pulpit. Isn't Warren's association with Obama equivalent to Christ's dining with the tax collector? Warren is not offering the pulpit to anyone. At this juncture, we do not know what the questions are that will be asked of the candidates, but one thing is for sure, an influential pastor, whose life is devoted to Christ, is using his God-given ability to bring a Christian view to keen world issues and to discuss the Christian world view with the next leader of the free world. So yes, there is a visibility that results and it (the event) could be something that draws clear distinction between good and evil and clear distinction between those who talk (those who seek your vote) and those who walk (the true church).
I wonder how many people share your angst and will send him an email with suggested questions for both Obama and McCain?
Post a Comment